Amanda is a food scientist, recipe developer and food photographer based in Marina, California. She is the owner of Amanda's Inspired Kitchen, LLC and is passionate about creating nourishing recipes. She has several years of experience in product development in the food industry, including in chocolate, ice cream and fresh produce.
If using wild rice, it needs to soak overnight.
Lemon Ginger Chicken Soup
So lemony, fresh and comforting, this soup can be enjoyed year round. To avoid soggy rice, store rice and soup in separate containers and combine right before serving. A great make-ahead soup.
- 250g chicken breasts
- 1.2 litres chicken broth
- 175ml fresh lemon juice
- Zest of one lemon
- 75g The Ginger People® Minced Ginger
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and chopped
- 3-4 stalks Lacinato or curly green kale, de-stemmed and chopped
- Salt and pepper
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 210g rice (white, brown or wild), cooked (if using wild, it needs to soak overnight)
1. In a dutch oven, combine chicken breast, 175ml water, 30g Minced Ginger, 1 clove garlic, 1 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon pepper, 2 sprigs thyme, 2 sprigs rosemary. Bring to boil over medium-high heat, then reduce to medium low.
2. Cook covered for 25-30 minutes or until chicken is tender and able to be shredded. Remove from liquid and shred.
3. Meanwhile, cook rice according to the package and set aside. For added flavour, cook rice in chicken broth with 15g minced ginger.
4. Reserve shredded chicken and cooking liquid and herbs in a bowl.
5. In the same pot, add a drizzle of olive oil and heat to medium high. Add diced onion, celery, and carrot. Saute for 3-5 minutes.
6. Add 2 cloves garlic, 30g Minced Ginger, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon pepper and saute for 5 more minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
7. Add lemon juice, lemon zest, chicken and cooking liquid/herbs, and the chicken broth. Simmer on low for 15-20 minutes.
8. Add chopped kale to the soup and simmer for 5 more minutes.
9. Remove soup from heat. Remove sprigs of herbs.
10. Fluff rice with a fork and scoop out into bowls in 75g – 125g portions. Ladle soup over rice. Serve hot.
There are no reviews yet. Be the first one to write one.